Oak Electric has over 3,000 generator installations to its credit in Michigan. We offer generators of all types from major generator manufacturers, including sales, rental, service and installation. Here are some things to consider regarding automatic standby generators.
An automatic standby generator is a back-up electrical system that operates whether you are home or away. Within seconds of an outage, it automatically supplies power directly to your home’s electrical circuit breaker box. After utility power returns, the generator shuts itself off and waits for the next outage. It operates on natural gas or liquid propane gas and sits outside just like a central air conditioning unit.
An automatic standby generator provides numerous advantages over a portable generator:
- Safer than a portable generator, according to the American Red Cross
- Proper outside installation results in less risk from deadly carbon monoxide poisoning than from portable generators
- Less expensive to run because it uses the home’s natural gas or LP fuel supply rather than gasoline and does not need to be refilled
- Starts automatically within seconds of a power outage, and eliminates the need to haul a portable generator outside or run extension cords throughout your home
- 24/7 protection, whether you’re home or away; turns off when utility power returns, so there is no need to monitor the unit during an outage
With typical usage and proper maintenance, automatic standby generators can be expected to provide approximately 3,000 hours of use, and in excess of 30 years of service. All generators require periodic oil and filter changes to ensure maximum performance for years of reliable service.
For safety reasons and to ensure adherence to all local, state and national electrical codes, it is recommended that you use an authorized dealer or licensed contractor for installation.
If you are considering backup generation for your home or business, the professionals at Oak Electric Service are happy to answer your product and installation questions. We invite you to visit our website at www.oakelectric.com to learn more about us; or give us a call at (800) 964-7070 for a free consultation.