The holidays are a magical time for children and adults to enjoy family traditions and create fond memories. Decorating your home with lights is a major part of the fun and enjoyment of this time of year.
Make safety a priority, especially if you have children or will have children visiting your home for the holidays.
- Be sure you have safety covers on all unused electrical outlets, including those on extension cords.
- Don’t put Christmas tree lights, ornaments, metal hooks, and other small, “mouth-sized” decorations where they will be within reach of young children.
- Try not to use decorations that are sharp or breakable. Otherwise, remember to place glass and breakable ornaments out of the reach of children.
- Never allow children to play with lights, electrical decorations or cords.
- Watch children closely in the kitchen. Supervise them at all times when an electric or gas stove is within reach.
- Keep children at least three feet away from all cooking appliances and heating equipment.
- Never hold a child while cooking or when removing hot food from the microwave, oven or stove.
- Avoid giving toys with small, detachable pieces to young children as they can present serious choking hazards.
- If gifts require batteries, exercise the same caution as you would with toys containing small parts. Small button cell batteries especially pose choking risks if children are able to open the battery covers.
Oak Electric Service is one of southeast Michigan’s leading electrical contractors. Give us a call at (800) 964-7070. We are standing by to answer all of your residential and commercial electrical questions. We will always personally answer your phone call – you will never reach an answering service! Be sure to ask about our “Free Electrical Safety Inspection” with every job. We invite you to visit our website at www.oakelectric.com to learn more about us.